How can we jump start our corporate sustainability program?
When major customer Walmart asked for proof of sustainability performance, this food manufacturer decided to respond with a standout sustainability program. With no previous program or experience, but with the endorsement of executives and plant managers, the company needed a sustainability expert and facilitator to lead the creation of their corporate sustainability strategy.
Mission Foods: Mission® is a subsidiary of Gruma Corporation that manufactures tortillas in the U.S. and a variety of other Mexican products. Visit Mission Foods.
- Conducted a fact-finding visit to a tortilla manufacturing plant
- Researched and compared competitors’ sustainability performance against a standardized scale
- Collaborated with the Sustainability Manager to clarify goals and constraints
- Developed the agenda for a two-day sustainability strategy workshop with company executives and plant managers, and facilitated the workshop
- From workshop content, compiled the Mission Foods Sustainability Strategy
- Agreed-upon vision for sustainability and its value to this company
- A strategic framework and implementation plan, consisting of objectives, strategies, performance indicators, and activities
- Ability to respond effectively to Walmart’s vendor requirements