VISION FRAMEWORK FOR URBAN REDEVELOPMENT
How can our city coordinate sustainability outcomes across many waterfront redevelopment projects?
As one of Seattle’s most ambitious urban redevelopment projects, Waterfront Seattle involves multiple sub-projects and a small army of design consultants. To achieve the Waterfront’s overall sustainability goals, the project needed a way to give design teams directional clarity without prescribing solutions at the sub-project level or resorting to expensive green rating systems.
City of Seattle, Department of Transportation: A City of Seattle department whose mission is to deliver a high-quality transportation system for Seattle, SDOT oversees planning, construction, maintenance, and other activities related to Seattle’s vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian thoroughfares. Visit SDOT.
- Facilitated the visioning process within the Waterfront Seattle program management team
- Guided the visual representation of the Sustainability Framework
- Facilitated application of the new Framework on a Waterfront sub-project
- A one-page Sustainability Vision Framework focused on four categories: community, transportation, urban nature, and materials, with high-level goals for each.
- Process for applying the Vision at the sub-project level.