How can our city coordinate sustainability outcomes across many waterfront redevelopment projects?
As one of Seattle’s most ambitious urban redevelopment projects, Waterfront Seattle involves multiple sub-projects and a small army of design consultants. To achieve the Waterfront’s overall sustainability goals, the project needed a way to give design teams directional clarity without prescribing solutions at the sub-project level or resorting to expensive green rating systems.
City of Seattle, Department of Transportation: A City of Seattle department whose mission is to deliver a high-quality transportation system for Seattle, SDOT oversees planning, construction, maintenance, and other activities related to Seattle’s vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian thoroughfares. Visit SDOT.
- Facilitated the visioning process within the Waterfront Seattle program management team
- Guided the visual representation of the Sustainability Framework
- Facilitated application of the new Framework on a Waterfront sub-project
- A one-page Sustainability Vision Framework focused on four categories: community, transportation, urban nature, and materials, with high-level goals for each.
- Process for applying the Vision at the sub-project level.