How can we show that utility rate increases will create community benefits?
Before imposing rate increases, a wastewater utility wanted to demonstrate the long-term benefits of their investments in capital projects needed to meet the requirements of a federally-mandated combined sewer overflow (CSO) mitigation program.
Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati: This wastewater utility is responsible for wastewater collection and treatment in Hamilton County, Ohio and small portions of Butler, Clermont and Warren counties. Visit MSD.
- Conducted interviews with neighborhood, advocacy, and government stakeholders
- Developed tailored performance indicators to complement those required by the Global Reporting Initiative
- Collected performance data and stories from client staff and stakeholders
- Guided development of illustrations and graphic themes
- Compiled and wrote the Sustainability Report
- Fact-based, positive messaging that responded to stakeholder concerns
- Documented benefits of the CSO mitigation program
- Visual and written content to be repurposed for a website and other messaging