VALUE PLANNING FOR A CONGESTED ROADWAY
How can we relieve road congestion and improve outcomes for community & environment?
For a major arterial long plagued by decreasing levels of service, City of Olympia, WA, planners were dissatisfied with proposed congestion relief solutions that cost too much and delivered too little value. They were excited to take part in an innovation workshop unlike any other design charrette.
The City of Olympia’s Public Works department oversees the city’s construction projects, transportation infrastructure, garbage/recycling/organics, utility billing, and water resources. Visit Olympia Public Works.
- Partnered with the Center for Sustainable Infrastructure to deliver this value planning project
- Designed the innovation workshop approach, including a half-day field trip and a full-day charrette, for 23 diverse attendees
- Designed the field trip workbook with City staff and team members
- Organized field trip logistics with City staff and team members
- Facilitate the field trip and the value planning charrette
- Provided project management to coordinate team efforts
- For charrette participants: new insights about opportunities and existing assets along the corridor
- For the City: Breakthrough solutions representing departures from conventional solutions and offering greater benefits to long-term community well-being and environmental health
- An enjoyable, inspiring, and immensely productive charrette experience for 23 diverse attendees
- Proof of concept for the value planning approach